Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas time is here!

This year Scott has had the opportunity to help plan the Wesleyan Youth Convention for our region which will take place in Denver on the 28th of December, THIS has been a HUGE BLESSING as this stuff is RIGHT up Scott's alley... he LOVES it. BUT because of this and the time off of work I need to take off to be apart, we are unable to go home (Sacramento) for Christmas. This will officially be the FIRST year I've been away from my parents over Christmas...makes me FEEL a little more grown up, but not ready to accept it :). It is REALLY hard to not be around family during this time. Especially when they all get together,
and the BABY NEPHEWS are doing all their new tricks!
There truly is no place like home for the holidays!
SOoOoOo, to make me feel more at home, I attempted (with Scott's help) to make my mom's "family" cookies. Even though they didn't turn out as good as mom's, or grandma's, or even great grandma's... they did, however, give me a little piece of home :) not to mention I had a blast making them. I'm not sure I can say the same for Scott, but he was a good sport.
I love you honey!


please note: that is hair dye on my left shoulder. classy.
puzzle work!
my cookie decorating ELF

Peanut butter balls- Scott made these and did a wonderful job :)


Christmas tree time! I am a HUGE fan of REAL trees...
but for the past few years (because of traveling) we've settled for a fake one.
It does the job.

This year we started a new tradition in the Stevenson home... We've made it a point, when we travel, to always get an ornament as our "souvenir". Over the 2.5 years that we have been married we've acquired quite the collection, so we decided that this year we wouldn't just put them on our tree, instead we would share our favorite memory from that trip or place and then we'd hang it on the tree. IT WAS A SUCCESS! We revisited some wonderful memories and it was a great refresher of each trip, in hopes that we never forget. We are so blessed!
This is a tradition that we will continue to do for many years to come!
The finished product!
So thankful as I am reminded of the TRUE meaning of the season...
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father,
The Prince of Peace.”
ISAIAH 9:6
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

Mike and Robin Higley said...

OH this makes me so sad...I really missed you this Christmas. The pictures of you making cookies reminds me of Grandma Joanie and Grandma Mickey. You would make them so proud. OH I love the idea of the christmas ornaments. What a great family Christmas tradition. I love you so much.
Love mom!

Julie Kay said...

Casey and I do this with our ornaments too. It certainly makes it easy deciding what to get for a souvenir and we don't have weird junk piling up from our travels.